Control & Automation

Leviton Launches Mass-Market Home-Automation Platform, Starting with Wi-Fi Lighting

Leviton launches ‘Decora Smart’ Wi-Fi lighting products, plus app and SHaaS (smart home as a service) platform to kick off new DIY initiative that could compete with Lutron's Caseta IoT ecosystem.

Posted by WhyReboot on March 17, 2017

Do the switches require a neutral wire?

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 17, 2017

WhyReboot, I was just informed a neutral is required.

Posted by WhyReboot on March 17, 2017

Boooooo.  Score one for Lutron.  My house has a combination of switches that have a neutral wire and ones that don’t.  I have so many light switches I’ve been looking for a solution for a while but I think I’m going to end up going with Lutron eventually.  My wife knows what all the switches do but I still fumble every day.  It’d be nice to finally put that to bed, that’s why I asked.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 17, 2017

WhyReboot—That’s a very clear advantage for older homes.

Posted by Niko on March 17, 2017

Lol does anybody take Leviton seriously in the Automation market? Come on, it’s Leviton. They make decent outlets, GFCI plugs, and switches if you want them in the usual bland colors. They have no history of home automation products, history of support, and there is no telling how long it will be before this first product gets discontinued.  That is if the product itself was worth anything which judging by the use of wifi, I’m going to guess not.

For many people, their router comes from their ISP and gets replaced as often as they change their TV/Phone/Internet package and even if they do it themselves, it doesn’t have proper reach throughout the house.This means that when you try to turn a light on, if you didn’t set up your router just as it was when you set up your lighting, the lights will likely not work right.  Why would you choose a system that relies on wifi for lighting?

Why would anybody choose them over Lutron when their Caseta system is already undercutting their higher end systems and uses the same technology?

Stick to dump electrical devices Leviton.

Posted by hmurchison on March 18, 2017

Caseta is tough to beat.  Lutron’s integrations are solid and they work. Leviton is going to be serious about this product line.  @WhyReboot great question. No need for a Neutral is a great feature when you don’t know what’s in a clients wall box.  I’m glad Leviton is entering the game and Legrand is looking at Thread and more HA stuff but they need to know Lutron is nimble and efficient.  I welcome them all.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 18, 2017

Lutron definitely sets the standard, but there is something to be said about standards-based solutions, especially for simpler installs like a couple of switches, where no hub is needed. One problem in the mass market is the confusion over hubs.

Posted by hmurchison on March 18, 2017

I see the market eventually distilling down to a few basic flavors.  RF for great range, Bluetooth for basic installs and something like Thread for more complex systems.  The Hub situation was predictable.  Until Home Auto reaches critical mass and we have general accept of a few protocols there will be a proliferation of hubs/bridges.  Consumers won’t spend say $199 or $299 for a solid controller that has actual processing power largely because they don’t really exist.  Thread being based upon IP means it can be rolled into routers pretty easily hopefully negating some of the cost or kludge of bridges.  Most of the experienced HA users I’ve run across are tired of cloud solutions that diminish the functionality of their homes if say AWS is down.  That’s going to require more local processing.  Leviton could make a play off of their structured wiring platform much like they’ve done with their Z-Wave modules.

Posted by antoniohardeman on March 20, 2017

Wifi for lighting in a home control system is like walking on the razor’s edge.  However, I say the more options for consumers in this arena the better.

Posted by Fins on March 20, 2017

Why am I having Armada flashbacks?

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 20, 2017

You have every right, Fins! Leviton has sure tried a lot of things. Either they were the wrong things to try in the first place ... or Leviton simply didn’t invest long enough or hard enough or correctly enough. I believe this one here is the right one, not least because they seem to have integration partners lined up. Already they are packaging Vizia Z-Wave switches with SmartThings hubs. They are responding to the existing marketplace, rather than trying to invent something new. I like their chances on this one.

Posted by Fins on March 20, 2017

Julie, you forgot a third option. They had people in charge of programs that didn’t have a clue what they were doing but kept telling their bosses everything was fine, just keep spending.

I’m still trying to black out the memories from attending the only Armada training ever held.

Posted by Fins on March 20, 2017

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 20, 2017

Posted by Fins on March 20, 2017

Why am I having Armada flashbacks?

Posted by antoniohardeman on March 20, 2017

Posted by hmurchison on March 18, 2017

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 18, 2017

Posted by hmurchison on March 18, 2017

Posted by Niko on March 17, 2017

Stick to dump electrical devices Leviton.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 17, 2017

WhyReboot—That’s a very clear advantage for older homes.

Posted by WhyReboot on March 17, 2017

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 17, 2017

WhyReboot, I was just informed a neutral is required.

Posted by WhyReboot on March 17, 2017

Do the switches require a neutral wire?