Control & Automation

Lessons From Amazon’s Smart Home Consultations

Two sharp guys from Amazon Home Services came to my home, analyzed my Wi-Fi, got my thermostat online, demonstrated Fire TV and made smart-home recommendations ... for free.

Posted by Francis Turgeon on March 7, 2017

Thanks @Julie, very interesting! And yes, you are kind of a big deal! haha

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 7, 2017

LOL, Francis.

Posted by TheDarkKnight on March 7, 2017

All games aside, I’m curious on why it took TWO people to do the things you listed?

Posted by Julie Jacobson on March 7, 2017

TheDark ... I have talked to people who had one person visit, and some who had two. My guys were both fairly savvy so it wasn’t like one was training the other. I assume they have a set number of consultants, and they want to deploy them all, so they team up when there’s a surplus?

Posted by pebaugh on March 8, 2017

Since Control4 already has a starting relationship with the Amazon folks on the Echo/Dot integration it would make sense to refer higher end automation to a Control4 dealer.  As a Control4 dealer we are starting to use the Echo/dot as a nice interface option for simple C4 controls which provides a “Wow” factor.

Posted by fbragasp on March 13, 2017

Nice job Julie! I´ve installed an echo dot and I´ve integrated with my crestron system, controlling the whole apartment. I spend two days integrating the systems. It requires custom setups and programming that these guys probably will never have these skills. After a week with our friend Alexa, me and my wife are very happy with this solution. Rarely I´ve to use my wall touchpanels now. If a dealer is capable of showing the Alexa skills, the customers will be very excited to have a home integrated with the system. Now imagine how many existing systems already installed that can be upgraded with Alexa! That´s smells $$$$$$$$$ for integrators smile

Posted by harper1994 gmail.com on March 13, 2017

It seems a little bit of a stretch to call this a “Home Automation” consultation. Does it REALLY take two, or even one, guy to sell a FireTV stick and an Echo? Furthermore, is that REALLY “automation”? It seems like little more than a gimmick to me. I know people that are still learning about products, system options and functions, on and on, after YEARS in this field. Now Amazon is sending out people with 100 hours (???) of home automation training?

Are we really to the point where a couple of dudes from Amazon with 100 hours of training are considered a legitimate “consultation”? I think not.

Posted by BFN on March 17, 2017

If Amazon really wants to promote home automation, they should configure Echo and Dot units to be able to be networkable together - at the users’ option. Meaning as an example, if I ask Alexa to play music, that audio would/should appear at all Echos and Dots installed in my home.  By doing so, I can have the SAME music playing throughout the house - very simply and cheaply.  Sadly, this is not now possible.  If Amazon doesn’t do it someone else will and Amazon will loose a tremendous selling feature….

Posted by Robert Archer on March 20, 2017

I hope to see one of the features Amazon adds to its Sonos control support when that is announced is a group function that includes Alexas and Sonos products. That would be a convenient user feature BFN.

Posted by Robert Archer on March 20, 2017