JBL to Release $30K/Pair K2 Series Speaker
At 500 watts and nearly 200 lbs., the S9900 is aimed at luxury and audiophile consumers.
For those that have $30,000 to spend on a pair of high-performance floorstanding speakers, JBL Synthesis offers its K2 Series S9900.
The S9900 is an upgrade from JBL’s K2 S9800, says Marc Kellom, VP of marketing for JBL parent Harman.
Even in the current downtrodden economy, Kellom says there is still a “luxury market” filled with consumers who “want the finer things” including the nicest vehicles, the best imported cigars and “ultra” audio equipment.
For those consumers, Kellom says the S9900 offers “a technology and fashion statement.”
The K2 S9900 features:
- 15-inch woofer with Alnico magnet and 100-mm voice coil, cast frame and 16-kg motor structure
- High-frequency compression driver and horn with 4-inch magnesium diaphragm
- Precision-molded Sonoglass HF horn throat section integrated with curved baffle
- Ultra-high frequency compression driver with 1-inch beryllium diaphragm
- Sonoglass UHF horn mated to a die-cast aluminum housing
- Separate crossover boards for each frequency section
- Heavily-braced curved front and rear enclosure eliminates cabinet-induced coloration
- 500 watts maximum recommended amplifier power
- Frequency response (-6 dB): 48-Hz to 50 kHz
- Dimensions: 22-inch (W) x 47 5/16-inch (H) x 13 13/16-inch (D)
- Weight: 182 lbs.
JBL’s K2 S9900 comes from good lineage, according to Kellom. “Its big brother is Everest,” he says, referring to JBL’s 313 lbs. Mt. Everest speaker — K2 and Everest, get it?
Although there are some S9900 models in Japan, the beta version shown above is the only example currently in the United States.
Tom has been covering consumer electronics for six years. Before that, he wrote for the sports department of the Boston Herald. Migrating to magazines, he was a staff editor for a golf publication and an outdoor sports publication. Now, as senior writer/technology editor of CE Pro magazine since 2003, he dabbles in all departments and offers expertise in marketing. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Tom at [email protected]
Follow Tom on social media:
SpeakersGoing Beyond Geographical Boundaries
Legendary Hafler Brand Enters Whole-House Audio Category with CI Series Amps
Paradigm Takes Brand to New Levels with Persona Speakers
Yamaha YAS-706 MusicCast Soundbar Delivers Twice the Fun
ISE 2017: NuVo Bolsters Ecosystem for Whole-House Wireless Audio, Including New DSPs
View more on Speakers